Loklak support was added to several wordpress plugins this summer. In order to properly handle and structure further development in this area, a common repository has been created to host the incumbent plugins. Please refer to this repository. To ensure rigorous testing in the internet environment, all plugins have been installed (loklak_wordpress_plugins/wp-content/plugins) in a sample WordPress site deployed on Heroku.
Heroku is a platform as a service (PaaS) that enables developers to build, run, and operate applications entirely in the cloud.
Heroku provides several buildpacks for different deployment patterns. After careful research I found a useful WordPress+Heroku buildpack here. To create your own wordpress instance to test the plugins follow the below instructions:
Deploy from github directly:
- Click on
Deploy to Herokubutton in the Readme file of your fork of
loklak_wordpress_pluginsrepo. This step would install wordpress on Heroku and setup your database.
- Give your website a name and input your time-zone and add authentication information for .htpasswd to access
wp-adminpage (admin privileges). See the screenshot below.
- Click on
Deploy for Free. Once the app is deployed, Click on ‘Manage App’. Go to ‘Deploy’ tab and choose ‘Deployment method’ as
- Connect your forked loklak_wordpress_plugins repo to Heroku.
- To automate the deployment process when the github repo is updated, enable
automatic deploys. Now deploy the master branch of your repo and you are good to go.
Deploy using Heroku Toolbelt:
To deploy using Heroku-git toolbelt, please refer to this.
After we are done with the deployment, we need to setup our plugins for using and testing:
- Follow the steps to install WordPress (as they appear on your computer screen) on your chosen app/domain name.
- Once WP is installed, change the language, time-zone and preferred date-time format in ‘general settings’.
- Now you can activate plugins from ‘plugins’ as per your need and test their functionality!